This weekend class (Friday night/Saturday day) will help participants develop a deep understanding of the United States of America’s racial history. Focusing on the unique perspective of Descendants of Slavery in the US we will examine the historical events and cultural forces that have created extreme inequality between US whites and US Descendants of Slaves.
This hands-on, interactive, skills building workshop will:
- create a space that encourages learning, growth, and change
- examine US history from colonization to the present-day with the experience of Descendants of Slavery at the center.
- equip participants with a deeper understanding of systemic racism, and what it takes to prevent and respond to it
- provide opportunities for participants to practice serving as advocates for addressing systemic racism with their colleagues, implementing partners, and other stakeholders
- move beyond the people of color narrative to create an understanding of the unique justice claim that American Descendants of Slavery have, with the ultimate goal of a transformational reparations movement.